Saturday, September 22, 2018

REVIEW Duels and Deception by Cindy Anstey

Duels and Deception by Cindy Anstey
Published by SwoonReads
Fiction / Young Adult / Romance / Regency



I read Cindy Anstey's first SwoonReads novel, Love, Lies, and Spies sometime last year and gave it a glowing review.  After I found out about Duels and Deception being out, I bought it in a haste and waited to find the right time to read it.

You can read my review of Love, Lies, and Spies on my Goodreads page here.

I can say with confidence that I loved Duels and Deception even more than Love, Lies, and Spies

This book follows Lydia Whitfield, a practical heroine who believes she has her future settled and doesn't believe everlasting love would ever find her.  She strikes up a friendship-turned-romance with her lawyer's clerk, the adorable Robert Newton, and together they tackle a potentially scandalous mystery as to who is trying to ruin Lydia's reputation after she is kidnapped.

Fans of Jane Austen, both teen and adult, would find an enjoyable read in this book.  Engaging enough to keep you turn the pages rapidly, charming enough to keep you dreaming of the lovely imagery and fluttering relationship growth of Lydia and Robert, and funny enough to have you chuckling to yourself, this book evokes a flowery and witty voice that you don't find in YA very often. 

The mystery was fun to keep up with throughout the book.  I knew who the schemer was early into the book, but that doesn't mean it was too predictable.  I was still surprised at the end.

All of the characters float off the page and into my imagination with such grace, and I adored Lydia and Robert the most.  Their relationship felt so natural and I enjoyed watching Lydia navigate through her feelings for Robert.  Robert was so pure and adorable while still being dreamy.  As far as Regency heroes go, I put him up there with Mr. Darcy and Mr. Tilney.  I loved him THAT much!

The sub-plots in this book were equally as interesting.  They didn't take anything away from the story and were weaved in flawlessly.

Swoonworthy?  Indeed!!  Lydia and Robert's romantic tension was beautiful!

Overall I give this book:

💖💖💖💖💖

Technically, 4.5 stars!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves a good Jane Austen or Regency romance.  This book is perfect for a light, spring read!  I can't wait to read Suitors and Sabotage and Carols and Chaos next!

Have you read this book?  Let me know what you thought of it below!


No comments:

Post a Comment