Sunday, July 22, 2018

REVIEW A Star of Song!: The Life of Christina Nilsson by Guy de Charnace (Forgotten Books Classic Reprint Series)

A Star of Song!: The Life of Christina Nilsson by Guy de Charnace
Published by Forgotten Books
Non-Fiction / Biography

                           



Christina Nilsson is an 18th century opera singer that unless you are a Phantom of the Opera buff, you probably haven't heard about. The story of a poor Swedish bumpkin being picked up and offered a chance at a life filled with music and operatic future seems like a Cinderella fairytale.

I picked up this book for research; you see, I'm writing a retelling, and I need as much information as I possibly can.  And while I was slightly disappointed by how thin the book was, I'm still happy I got it.

Guy de Charnace gives us a snippet of the beginning of Christina Nilsson's rise from an angelic farm girl into one of the most celebrated opera singers around Europe.

While I was hoping this book would be longer, and a more thorough insight into her life, this little chapter book expands her humble beginnings to several years following her operatic debut in La Traviara at the Theatre Lyrique. With several glimpses into her character, and switches between teachers, we are finally given mass details of the public interest and reaction toward the Swedish girl.
Through many roles she had undertaken we see professional growth, and a reminder than no matter who it is we idolize, even they're not faultless. Several firsthand accounts in this book, describe audience reactions, and even the quality of Christina's voice and acting choices compared to her famous contemporaries.

This was an interesting and somewhat useful insight into the beginnings of Christina Nilsson. As a research tool, this can be helpful to timeline, and even the personality of the ambitious, yet modest, Christina.  I know I will definitely be using it for my book.

Overall, I give this book:

⭐⭐⭐⭐

If this book had been longer and in more detail, I would be worshipping it right now.  But, alas, it will have to do for now as a decent source for my research.  I respect Forgotten Books for reprinting this so that it may be available to those who want to learn more about Christina Nilsson.

No comments:

Post a Comment