Tuesday, January 10, 2017

31 Days of Prompt Writing: Day 5

 Hi everyone!  Here is Day 5's writing prompt: 
I found the prompt on Pinterest.  This gave me a lot of inspiration!  And I'm interested to see if I can keep working on this!

OSIRIS/ORPHEUS

My gentleman of midnight stars and crescent moons. Galaxies swam in his eyes underneath the slits in his ivory moon mask. I could see new worlds within them. Speckled starbursts of violet, sapphire, and gold swirled like liquid gems in his irises. From a distance, his eyes were opalescent when they gazed on me as I called his name.
I seemed to float when I ran, as one does when they dream, clothed in a rosewood cotton dress. Despite the thin boning down the bodice and the laces tied tightly against my back, I could breathe as cleanly as though I wore nothing at all. The long skirt didn't tangle around my legs, it floated no higher than my shins as a I rushed to him, his arms outstretched, then folding around me as he pulled me into him. His long spider-like fingers tangled themselves into the web of my brown bed-head messy hair, chuckling as he stroked it and mussed it up.
He smelled like nightfall; like two glasses of cabernet, musky cologne, dewy pine trees, and untamed secrets whispered in your ear.
He was covered from head to toe in darkness. His suit glowed from navy to black like a raven's wings, and his leather gloves made his touch seem like soft moonlight on my body. And his skin...I wasn't sure you could call it skin. He was obsidian silk under my clean fingers. He would seem to have no features if it weren't for his mouth holding all which could pleasure ears with a sweet tenor voice, and pleasure skin with tender lips. He had everything else that would make up a handsome face. If only you could see it against the galactic backdrop of my dream.
He was there in every single one. The darkness comforting and the swirls of color surrounding us as he caressed my hand in his and took me skipping across planets and moons and stars.
He, himself, was a dream. Gentle and soft, adventurous and brave and charming, with the humor of a trickster in the night. He was...perfect. So perfect, in only a dream could he exist; blinking in stardust, waltzing on auroras, kissing me in the shadows.
Could dreams be waking life and waking life be dreams as long as it meant he was real?

It felt like my skin was melting. My cotton dress singed and fell away at the sleeves. It blistered my arms and shoulders. I couldn't breathe. Smoke and ash stormed into my mouth and filled my lungs; the boning of my bodice dug into stomach and chest, and the lacing was so tight it crushed my rib cage. My body revolted, forcing me to hack until my throat was raw. I couldn't feel the bottom of my feet against the burning molten rock.
Fire...fire and darkness. Not like the darkness that surrounds me in my dreams. No, this darkness was thick, and so black I didn't dare believe there was anything beyond it. It weighed heavily in the air like a suffocating blanket. The only light was the burning flames, scorching the air and the sky all around her.
It was fire and blackness sometimes. Sometimes it was a dense forest in the dead, haunted hours of the night. It was a countless many things that fed on the silence and shadows. It fed on my fears.
And he'd be there.
The ground felt like lava under my feet, the scalding heat shooting through my toes and heels.
Run.
Running was the only thing I could do. At least I didn't feel the burning as much when I ran, but it made breathing even harder to manage.
Fragments of rock in my path tripped me. They broke my toenails and scraped my legs and knees on impact.
And then I would see him out of the corner of my eye. I'd whisk my head to and fro. My heart pounded in my chest like looming drums counting down to my end. Was I running away from him, or running to him? In the fiery depths of my prison, who could tell?
Sweat rolled down my forehead, my neck, and my back. It made my skin glisten in the heat, and my dress cling to my body.
I coughed some more.
Where was he?
When would I wake up?
Then he was there.
My heart stopped. I rose my chin slowly, following the navy and black silk pant legs that stood right in front of me all the way up to the face looming above me.
Tornadoes of wrath and horrible mischief whirled in the eyes underneath the skull mask he wore. My stomach lurched at this phantom so close to me; in distance and emotion.
He knew all my secrets. He knew where I was every second when I was awake and asleep. He knew what my lips tasted like and how soft my hands were. He knew everything about me. He remembered everything about me...but he didn't remember himself.
He was my gentleman who created universes for me in my dreams. And he was the specter that stalked and tormented me in my nightmares.

© All writing belongs to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment